The Key to Service: Fall Rally 2016

VALENCIA, CA– On Saturday, November 12, all the Key Clubbers from the CNH District (Southern California, Nevada, and Hawaii) gathered at Six Flags Magic Mountain to not only spend a day riding roller coasters but to raise awareness and money for PTP (Pediatric Trauma Program).

“11,103 hours of service, $1800 and more donated to PTP from the wonderful clubs, 540 Division 35 West attendees, I couldn’t be any happier,” Dylan Tran, Division 35 West’s Lieutenant Governor and Glen A. Wilson High School senior, said. “I hope that everyone had a wonderful time. Seeing everyone spirit battling their hearts out, waiting an hour in line for $20 hot dogs, and cheering me on at the rally made my day. I hope you all know that you are all the reason why the division is so successful.”fullsizerender-475x375

Baldwin Park Key Club arrived at Arroyo High School at 6:00 AM, along with Arroyo itself, El Monte High School, and Mountain View High School, for pick-up. After roll call and preparation, decked out in spirit gear (tutus, face paint, posters, and spirit sticks), everyone gathered up in three buses, and arrived at Six Flags Magic Mountain around 9:00 A.M. Other schools in Division 35 West had different pick up locations. Baldwin Park High School is among the twelve schools in Division 35 West with the seal as its mascot. These five different divisions makes up Region 13.

Every year in the middle of November, an event called Fall Rally South takes place. Basically, it is a day where all the members of Key Clubs in the CNH District located in the southern regions come together to raise money and have fun. A total of 9,000 Key Clubbers were counted to be at Fall Rally 2016. During the rallies, all of the divisions battle, and the loudest and most synchronized cheers win the Spirit Stick. Most importantly, it’s an event to fundraise for PTP, an organization that helps treat trauma, the leading cause of death for children fourteen years and under in the United States.img_9979

Around 2:15 PM, the BPHS Key Clubbers, along with the rest of the division, started to line up near the Golden Bear Theatre to ensure good seats. Inside the stadium is where everyone cheered and screamed their hearts out. Lieutenant Governors and Executive Officers were “auctioned” off to divisions and the winning division would spend a period of time with the “purchased” officer. All the auction funds and ticket sales went to PTP.

Although Division 35 West lost the Spirit Stick to Division 15 (Rancho Cucamonga High School, Upland High School, etc.), Baldwin Park and Division 35 West still had fun. The rest of the day consisted of spirit battles, rollercoaster rides, and theme park food! At 8:00 PM, everyone headed back to the buses, arrived at Arroyo High School again to get picked up, and ended the tiring day. Some BPHS students even started counting down the days until Fall Rally 2017. They really want to showcase their passion for Key Club and meet new friends.img_9978-475x242

“I’ve been to Fall Rally three times so far and I’ve never regretted it. It’s an experience I will remember and cherish forever,” Camelle Tieu, BPHS junior, explained. Dylan Tran did promise his division he’d shave his hair if they won. Although Division 35 West lost, they were winners in his eyes. On Saturday, November 19, BPHS Key Club has the honor of shaving his hair at Morgan Park, fulfilling the division’s wish.