You’re a Member, Harry

img_1198BALDWIN PARK, CA — On Monday, November 14, National Honor Society held its annual Induction Ceremony in the cafeteria of Baldwin Park High School. This year, the ceremony had a Harry Potter theme.

“The theme was executed so well that even though I have never seen or read about Harry Potter, I was eager to get to know the content,” commented BPHS junior and new NHS member, Joaquin Miranda.

The Induction Ceremony is meant to recognize the students who earned NHS membership status after a long application process. Students were allowed to invite guests to a dinner and celebration of their achievement.

NHS went all out on the magical theme of the evening. The long dining tables were decorated with tree centerpieces that housed an assortment of owl plushies. There were also many larger decorations set up as photo opportunities. These included four columns representing the four Hogwarts houses, a divination table, the Chamber of Secrets, and Quidditch hoops.

The ceremony officially began a little later than the announced time of 6 PM due to late arrivals. After the welcoming message from the NHS board, Principal Mr. Ippolito delivered an encouraging message and expressed his hopes for members of NHS.

img_1205The “dinner in the Great Hall” started immediately after these messages. The board members and adviser, Mrs. Juniper, served an assortment of Italian food, including lasagna, chicken pasta, and bread sticks. Hogwarts house cupcakes and punch were also available at the self-serve counter. Students and parents enjoyed their meals in the magical atmosphere created by the decorations and festive Harry Potter theme music playing in the background.

img_1232
The board members of National Honor Society (missing Wendy Wong).

After the dinner, NHS board members delivered mini speeches about the four core values of National Honor Society: service, scholarship, leadership, and character. The co-vice presidents of the club, Ann Mariel Pacada and Luis Flores, also handed out membership certificates. However, to keep in the Harry Potter theme, students also had a chance to truly become witches and wizards by getting their own wands after receiving their certificates. The wands were concealed in tubes, so the wand really chose the wizard when each student unknowingly picked a wand. Afterwards, the inductees were invited to say the NHS pledge to become National Honor Society members.

The pledge marked the official end of the ceremony, but none of the students let the decoration go to waste. Group pictures were taken and members ran around the room to take pictures at the different photo opportunities.

“Overall, the induction ceremony was great because I spent some time with my family, friends, and everyone else who accomplished to get into NHS,” expressed another new NHS member, Melissa Talavera.