Anteater Nation: ZOT ZOT ZOT

IRVINE, CA– On Saturday, October 22, UC Irvine held its annual Preview Day for incoming freshmen and transfers for the 2017 fall term. Students were invited to learn about all the academic and fun activities the school had to offer.

Macy Mercado, BPHS senior, visited Preview Day to find out if UCI was the right school for her. It is currently one of her top choices and she hopes to attend next year.new-one2

“When I attended, it was very informative. The students were welcoming, patient, and helpful,” she explained. “Preview Day met my expectations because I had a lot of questions about housing and student life.” Her favorite part about UCI was the Engineering Tower in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering, the tallest building on campus.

UC Irvine, located in Orange County, is one of the nine campuses in the University of California system. Only ten minutes away from Newport Beach and twenty away from Disneyland, the campus is near many attractions and personal favorite food chains. The city of Irvine is always full of life with student activities and shopping outlets.new-one-1

The event allowed students to engage with the staff and current students, tour the large campus, and learn more about the academic programs and services. Participants even had the chance to ask questions and learn new information about the admissions process.

From 9:00 to 9:45AM, registration took place at the Student Center Terrace next to the famous Aldrich Hall, the Office of Admissions and Relations. Incoming freshmen and transfers were given a QR code prior to checking in, and received a free bag and schedule. Preview Day’s schedule consisted of a Freshman Admission Workshop, Financial Aid Workshop, Student Panel, and Parent Workshop. Only the times and locations varied with each activity.new-one3

Campus tours went on the whole day, starting at 10:00. The tour guides were very humorous seniors who knew everything about UCI. They were kind and answered every question asked. While the entertainment of students playing drums from a culture club amused a rapidly growing crowd, there was also a Resource Fair going on. Booths and tables full of information were set up and students from various clubs were selling food and drinks.

Leon Truong, BPHS graduate and current UCI student, admitted that college was a different yet good change from high school. “So far, my experience at UCI has been great. I’ve learned a lot since moving in and met plenty of interesting people,” he said. “My favorite part is the dorm. It’s a wonderful school in a beautiful environment and comfortable weather. It’s also so easy to meet new people because everyone is so friendly.”