Oh, Consider The Places You’ll Go

HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA — On Friday, October 14, Baldwin Park seniors had a chance to attend the California Out-of-State and International College Fair hosted by the Hacienda Heights Community Center. Most of the students who attended were part of the Youth Career Connect (YCC) Program offered at our school.

img_7620“I loved the variety of colleges that presented, especially the international colleges who made me feel open to the possibility of studying outside the U.S.,” expressed BPHS senior Leslie Lona.

“It was a new experience for me,” shared another BPHS senior Alessandro Bryden, “because I’ve always been intimidated by international or out-of-state colleges, but they’re not any different from the ones in California.

A total of 35 colleges and universities showcased themselves at the fair. They came from states outside of California, Canada, and the United Kingdom. American colleges and universities came from Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.

Many high schools, such as Los Altos, Bonita, and South Hills, also attended the fair. The students were unafraid to ask admissions officers questions regarding their tuition, dorm life, and programs offered at their schools.

When asked about which schools interested him, Bryden listed the University of York, Radford University, Ryerson University, “and many more.”

Overall, the out-of-country colleges attracted most of the attention. Students cited the fact that they could earn a master’s degree within four years at colleges in the UK and Canada. Also, students were very surprised by the lower tuition prices of out-of-country schools when compared to Californian ones.

At the end of an hour and a half, the students were asked to wrap up their questions and prepare to return to school.

“My excitement about college is continuing to grow and I look forward to applying to all of the schools that I am interested in,” remarked Bryden at the end of the fair.