Day of the Dead: Una Noche Inolvidable

Nightfall at the Day of the Dead Festival.

BALDWIN PARK, CA — Baldwin Park High School’s Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) event was held on Thursday, October 29 from 5 P.M. to 7 P.M. Dia de los Muertos is a traditional Mexican holiday that celebrates the passing of loved ones. The holiday itself has been celebrated ever since the sixteenth century. Every year, BPHS’ IMPACT Academy leads the celebration through its event held in the 400s building.

“The event allows students to be proud of the Latino culture while simultaneously apply academic skills in a fun and educational settling,” said Ms. Serrano, coordinator of the Dia de los Muertos event and a World History and Chicano Studies teacher.

Students and school clubs worked together to make altars for the event. The altars honored loved ones and brought awareness to many social issues, such as immigration and breast cancer.

The Virtual Enterprise Club on campus made an altar representing cyberbullying.

“People will look at our altar and see the problems that [cyberbullying] can cause, and I think they will think about it,” says junior Joe Si, the CEO of Virtual Enterprise.

Dual Language played a major role in preparing for the event.

“There will be all sorts of entertainment,” Fernando Carrillo, member of Dual Language. “There will be dances, possibly a piñata, and many other mini games for everyone to play and have fun.”

He was not wrong. The Baldwin Park Drumline started off the event with an amazing parade. Drama also had a chance to perform a humorous improv performance that had the audience chuckling and smiling. Soon after, the Braves Orchestra put on a performance that captivated the audience.

In honor of Mexican culture, young dancers performed baile folklorico, or traditional dances, that were formal, fun, and authentic. The dancers’ makeup, costumes, and performances were enjoyable and exciting to see.

At the event, student artists displayed the Day of the Dead stencils they worked on as their first major art project since the beginning of the year. With intricate cuts and eye-catching designs, the pieces revealed the talent and hard work BPHS art students possess.

Various clubs sold snacks, meals, and drinks near the parking lot entrance as fundraisers. Although club booths were set up near the entrance, club vendors could not help but be caught up in the lively atmosphere coming from the center of the action.

An altar created by BPHS' very own Dual Language club.
An altar created by BPHS’ very own Dual Language club.

The event actually ended at 7:40 P.M. after children had a chance to break a piñata and everyone had a chance to dance to lively music. As people began dispersing and volunteers began cleaning up, the event seemed to have never taken place that evening. Although proof of the event disappeared after the clean-up, the excitement and joy of the event remained, slowly fading into the darkening night.