A Bark in the Park

HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA– The BPHS Key Club had a very successful event on Saturday, September 17. Division 35 West held its September DCM (Division Council Meeting) at Steinmetz Park from 11AM to 3PM.

A DCM is a gathering of the twelve Key Clubs in Division 35 West, in which the clubs discuss old news, distribute information, and do various service events. With the most Key Clubbers attending a DCM thus far, this event was very important to LTG (Lieutenant Governor) Dylan Tran, due to the astounding number of freshmen and new members being exposed to the Key Club in the beginning of the school year.sdfgfb

“I loved how many new faces I saw!” he exclaimed. “It made me feel nervous, but I was happy that they were starting their Key Club journey together!”

At this particular event, students from various schools such as Baldwin Park, Sierra Vista, Arcadia, Arroyo, and many more came together to make dog toys out of old shirts. They were told to bring at least two t-shirts and scissors, as well as their dogs. From small braids to large designs, colorful dog toys were produced with the teamwork of everyone.

The DCM started with a bonding event, by in which clubs played icebreakers and games to ease the unfamiliarity between new members. The BPHS officers made sure to put a Key Club Core Value into use: inclusiveness. All twenty-four members, old and new, got to know each other. West Covina High School Key Club sold spam musubi and Glen A. Wilson High School sold boba to fundraise for PTP (Pediatric Trauma Program), one of the organizations that work with Key Club.

Later on, Spirit Leaders from different schools held a spirit session to prepare for Fall Rally, one of the biggest Key Club events of the year. Separated into small groups, the members got to make new friends with people from different schools. The adults from Kiwanis International were also present to make sure the DCM ran smoothly.

BPHS senior and new member, Aaron Ronald Rodriguez, commented on his first ever Key Club event. He said that will definitely show up to more future events.afbhj

“I thought it was pretty cool. I got to see some of my friends and meet other people from other schools,” he said. “It seems like a fun way to help out the community and socialize at the same time. And no, I don’t regret joining.”

On a side note, Baldwin Park Key Club received its second Club of the Month award, after its first one at the April DCM. After everything was completed, all the members had time to play with the cute dogs and became acquainted with everyone around them.