Close to (Senior) Spectacular

BALDWIN PARK, CA — On August 24, Baldwin Park High School hosted its second annual Senior Spectacular, the first seniors-only event in which parents and students are given information about senior year events, expenses, and expectations.

This year, the event was split into two sessions to accommodate the large number of parents and students who showed up at last year’s Senior Spectacular. The session times were 5 P.M. to 6 P.M. and 6 P.M. to 7 P.M.

While the two sessions certainly helped create room in the cafeteria for the information session, this year’s Senior Spectacular lacked last year’s liveliness and club participation. Only a small handful of organizations — Studio 409, Yearbook, Art Club, Anime Club, and Cheer — were present to promote their clubs and sell food and merchandise.

Both sessions started promptly at their respective times and began with an intro from principal Mr. Anthony Ippolito. He was followed by Mrs. Heather Malone, the senior class advisor, and  Ms. Holly Farrell, the ASB advisor. Both spoke about expenses of senior year, such as the yearbook and senior class gear.

Jostens, the company that provides Baldwin Park High School with class rings and cap and gowns, also sent representative Ruben Cruz to talk about the products seniors can purchase from Jostens and how to buy them throughout the year.

Afterwards, counselors Mr. Hugh van der Linden and Mrs. Ruby Solorzano spoke about upcoming events for seniors who wish to get more information on either the college application process or how to plan for the future.

The counselors were followed by Mrs. Gale Morganstern, who informed students and parents about specifics on the senior project.

Mr. Jose Cuevas also had the chance to talk to parents about the expectations for senior student behavior and the privileges the students have as the graduating class.

At the end of each session, Evelyn Montenegro, ASB President, and Keoni Hilo, ASB Vice-President, held a drawing for a free graduation ticket. Three lucky families won a free ticket at each session.

After the second session, seniors and their parents lingered and mingled outside of the cafeteria for a while to talk to counselors and support clubs.

When asked about this year’s Senior Spectacular compared to last year, Mrs. Malone had some insight for possible improvements next year.

“As far as the actual turnout from parents, I think it’s about the same, which is fantastic. The other aspect of it, it just doesn’t seem to be as spectacular as far as club selling and atmosphere,” explained Mrs. Malone. “I feel like there is a lot of room for improvement, but the night is about getting the information out to the parents and that’s what we did.”

Events such as the Senior Spectacular serve as only one of many times in which seniors will be reminded of the significance of their final year in high school.

“I’m overwhelmed by the fact that I’m a senior,” expressed Wendy Wong, BPHS senior, “but it’s comforting to know that the counselors and mentors will be there to help.”

If the information from the Senior Spectacular is anything to go by, seniors should look forward to a fun and eventful year.