So Many Students, So Few Sales

The school year is slowly winding down like an old grandfather’s clock. Seniors are excited about upcoming events like Grad Nite and the Senior Launch. Juniors are discussing who to vote into ASB office, and the underclassmen are contemplating exams and which clubs to join next year. What are the yearbook students  yearbook_sale doing? Hoping for more sales, that’s what.

In a school of about 2,000, fewer than 300 have purchased a yearbook. That’s not even as many books as the senior class has members, which is at just over 400. Truth be told, that’s depressing. And here’s why: The yearbook staff is poised all year to capture as many events as possible, including performances by our choirs, orchestra, actors, band, drumline, and color guard. And we can’t exclude all the sporting contests that take place through the year. Most teams have a varsity and a JV team, some even with a freshmen team. After some quick math last week, the yearbook staff approximated that 800 students at our school are involved in either a performing art or a sport. The pages that feature those students alone make up more than half of the yearbook, so why are those students not purchasing the yearbook? If asked, a sophomore soccer player might say, “I’m waiting until I’m a senior.” But why? These events happened this year and won’t be the same next year. These teammates are on the team now, and the team will be different next year. The musical was Bye Bye, Birdie; it will be different next year with different actors. What’s the sense in going to all the trouble of organizing all the club photos if the club members aren’t even going to buy the yearbook? That’s not a rhetorical question…someone, please answer it.

Please think about it this way. A yearbook is not just a book of photos—anyone can just snap a photo with their phone nowadays. A yearbook tells the stories that go along with those photos. During the Covina football game, a Colts player was hit really hard. He was wobbly. I took some photos. Our Braves player, not the one who hit the Colts player, helped his opponent and asked him if he was okay. It was a fantastic display of sportsmanship, and I got it on film. And that picture is in the yearbook with a brief story, highlighting that moment in Braves history. The yearbook is full of similar photos and stories. We put into print what students just flip through on their phones or post to Facebook or some other social media site. The yearbook is a slice of your history, Braves—those moments in time that are gone now in reality, but preserved in color on pages in the yearbook. If you ask your teachers on campus what they still have from high school, I’ll bet they say, “My yearbook.”

yearbook bannerAs that old clock keeps ticking away, this year’s yearbook is in the process of being printed (delivered by May 23), and we yearbook staffers can pat each other on the back and show the pride we have for our product. We just hope more people want to enjoy our efforts and relive the great moments of this school year—it was sure a fantastic one.