Tardiness, It Happens

From the beginning of time, students have been well acquainted with tardiness. Whether you owe hours upon hours of detention or you are on your last warning, tardiness happens. We are well-acquainted with the morning rush – the frantic dash to get ready, breakfast, pick up your things, and brace for the morning traffic. At times this mad dash is hard to do and the inevitable happens – we arrive late – it happens to all of us.

The National Education for Statistics indicated in 2007 that student tardiness for each day from kindergarten to twelfth grade happens at a rate of 3.3% to 9.5%.  Administration is constantly reminding us not to arrive late because we waste “valuable class time.” Though the administration makes a strong point, the system in which BP records tardiness is flawed.

“I think that it just wastes our time and honestly you are just doing [students] a favor if some kids don’t want to go to class. Especially for kids who don’t bring their I.D.s, they have to wait in a separate line and get not just one but two detentions,” senior Daisy Espinoza complained.

Administration claims that class time is valuable; yet, when we are tardy, we are forced to wait in line at attendance for more minutes to receive a late slip and even more with no I.D. So if administration stresses that class time is so valuable, why do they force those who are running late to waste even more class time standing in line to wait for a tardy slip? At times, those who are hustling to go to class and miss their classroom door by seconds are forced to walk back to attendance. At times, some students may welcome the notion of wasting more class time. Some students, after receiving their tardy slip, wander around campus to miss class. This tardy system in return gives students the opportunity to miss class. 

It is understandable that if you are late there should be a consequence, but there should be a more productive way in the system in which you receive your tardies. Having students be even more tardy defeats the whole purpose of the system. A more effective change would be to dismiss the whole notion of students having to wait at attendance for a tardy slip. Instead, students should be allowed to arrive directly to class. Once in class teachers should mark the students tardy on their attendance. At the end of the day, students could be handed their tardy slips notifying them of their detention.

“…If I’m a minute late I have to wait 5 minutes for a tardy pass. It’s a waste of time but then again I shouldn’t be late.” stated senior, Arlyn Ruiz.

In this aspect students would not miss their valuable class time but still receive their punishment for arriving tardy.         

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Why a Hamster? (WITH MEMES!!!)

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

AP Lit is Not Lit

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Why Vanguard?

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Controversy of the Year: Pineapple on Pizza?

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Advanced Placement or Additional Pricing?

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Obama Out *mic drop*

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Report It

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

The Final Check-out Experience

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

AI: This Is The Droid You’re Looking For

• Tardiness, It Happens

Opinion

Heard About Apple AirPods?

Tardiness, It Happens