One Semester Left: From the Eyes of Upperclassmen

BALDWIN PARK, CA — Much like the way optimists see the cup as half full and pessimists see the cup as half empty, high school students believe they either have made it through half of the school year or have another half to go. No matter how one sees it, there is only one more semester of the 2015-2016 school year left.

In a previous article on The Vanguard News (Freshman Grades: Big Deal or Not?), a couple of freshmen had a chance to comment on their beliefs about their first semester grade’s worth and their first semester experiences in general. On the other hand, with the second half of the year setting in, it is the upperclassmen who are most impacted by the upcoming months.

Most seniors have finished sending in their college applications and will be applying for scholarships and financial aid in the following weeks while patiently awaiting their acceptance letters. Simultaneously, juniors are inching towards the magical first two weeks of May, infamously known for AP exams.

“Honestly, I feel so relieved that I submitted my applications,” said Senior Keren Gonzalez. The relief seemed short-lived when she began to list all of the things she will be working on this semester, including meeting deadlines for FAFSA, scholarships, and grants and working on the senior project. Despite the intimidating agenda, Keren could not help but be excited for the fun aspects of being a senior as well.

“I’m looking forward for Grad Night and Senior Recognition Night. I’m also getting ready for this track season which I’m so excited because I love track and field!” continued Keren. “I just want to have fun with friends and finally graduate!”

Junior Fabiola Lopez also shared her plans and expectations for this second semester.

“There’s definitely a lot riding on this semester, but it’s going to be really rewarding to finish off strong,” stated Fabiola. Fabiola also offered some words of advice for the underclassmen who will eventually become juniors themselves.

“Challenge and push yourself to do your best, but don’t spread yourself too thin. I think the most important thing is to focus on yourself and to not get too caught up in what everyone else is doing,” said Fabiola.

Upperclassmen or not, the clock stops ticking for no one and you will be approaching the finish line of this school year. Whether you make a mad dash or take a peaceful stroll is up to you. Just make sure you make the most of it.