Teachers of the Month: October Edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers of the Month: October Edition

Renaissance presented their teachers of the month for October at BPHS by rewarding them with a trophy and certificate. Winners are student-nominated instead of by administration.

The teachers of the month for October were Ms. Turner and Mr. Mulvihill. Teachers recognized by Renaissance truly appreciate the gesture because they know their students are appreciating what they do. Apart from the trophy and the certificate, the recipients of each month are given school supplies.

Mr. Mulvihill has had the pleasure of working as a math teacher at BPHS since 2001. He currently teaches Integrated Math 1 and 2, and has always specialized in mathematics. His motivation for becoming a math teacher came from his previous teachers. He explains, “Well I had some good math teachers growing up and some not so good math teachers also, so I thought maybe I could fit in somehow and help those who needed help.” Like most teachers who receive this award he stated he was pleasantly surprised when Renaissance came into his classroom and “something he didn’t anticipate.”

Ms. Turner, the next recipient of Teacher of the Month has been working at Baldwin Park High School for twenty years. Over the past two decades, she has taught English to all grade levels and for the last five years she has taught English 9. Ms. Turner enjoys teaching English 10 and 12 out of all grade levels. Her drive for focusing on English was due to her already being a teacher to her 8 younger siblings. An obstacle she has faced being an educator is, “The changes with technology, social media, but when they (students) come into class they have rules and if not I just take them (phones) away.” Ms. Turner focuses on the student’s best interest and wants them to get the best education they can. She had an emotional reaction to Renaissance’s award because, “it’s a big deal, coming from the kids.”

Each teacher appreciates the kind gesture coming from Renaissance, because they know that when the nominations come from the kids, they have positively impacted a student. Anyone can nominate their favorite teacher in rm.612, so that they are pleasantly surprised next month.