Spirit to Fundraise

VALENCIA, CA– November 14th was the big day. The sun hadn’t even shown up. On Saturday morning at 6:15 AM, Key Clubbers from Division 35 West gathered at the Hacienda Heights Community Center despite the chilly weather. Baldwin Park students and hundreds of others had anticipated the day. At 7:15 AM, Division 35 West set out in buses to Six Flags Magic Mountain for Fall Rally South.

Every year in November, there is a festive event called Fall Rally. Fall Rally South is a day where all the members of Key Clubs in the CNH District (California, Nevada, and Hawaii) located in the southern regions come together for a day full of fun.

Baldwin Park High School is among the twelve schools in Division 35 West, with the seal as its mascot. There areDSC_0743-large-group five different divisions that make up Region 13. During the rallies, all the divisions battle with the most synchronized, loudest and spirited cheers to win the Spirit Stick.

But Fall Rally is not just about spirit. It is an event to fund raise for PTP (Pediatric Trauma Program, where Pediatric Trauma is the leading cause of death for children fourteen years and under in the United States).

At 10:45 AM, Key Clubbers started to gather inside the Golden Bear Theatre, where they cheered their hearts out. Lieutenant Governors and Executive Officers were “auctioned” off to divisions and the winning division is designated to spend a period of time with the “purchased” officer. The auction funds and portions of the ticket sales go to the PTP.

Fall Rally is also a day dedicated especially just for KIWIN’S (a high school service club program which operates under the umbrella of Key Club International) members to showcase their passion for Key Club as well as a day to meet new people from around the district. It is a gathering in support and celebration of what Key Club represents. Division 35 West’s Lieutenant Governor, Austin Ly, thanked his “seals” for their enthusiastic participation.

“Thank you for everything that you do! Division 35 West couldn’t have raised $6,157 and have 10,210 service hours without all of your hard work. It has been an amazing nine months serving as your Lt. Governor! I wouldn’t trade this for anything,” he said.

After Fall Rally South, BPHS Spirit Leader Senior Madeline Gutierrez spoke about her post-Fall Rally depression.

“My fourth and last Fall Rally was the greatest! I’ve been cheering for four years now with my friends and I couldn’t have asked for better people to share these moments with! Losing my voice was totally worth it!” she said.

Although Division 35 West lost the Spirit Stick to Division 35 East, that did not stop Baldwin Park and the rest of the division from having fun. The rest of the day consisted of spirit battles, rollercoaster rides, and theme park food! At 6:45 PM, students headed back to the buses, ending the exciting day.

When Austin was asked about what he wanted to say to his division, he replied, “I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the hours you put into service, fundraising and spirit sessions. It means a lot to me that you took all the time from your busy lives to make the world a better place and I feel very blessed to have each and every one of you as my ohana.”