Kindness Week 2019

The week before Thanksgiving Break, November 18th to November 22nd, BPHS Renaissance held the annual Kindness Week. This week is meant to promote and spread kindness throughout the school, with the hope to improve the school’s culture.

On Monday, November 18th a spirit day was to wear yellow or anything with smiley faces. Renaissance sold black shirts, with a smiley face throughout the month to staff and students for $10. Many students participated so BPHS was decked out in yellow. Tuesday’s spirit day was to wear BP Brave Gear, which was the easiest day to take part in because almost everyone owns a shirt or hoodie from BPHS. The spirit day on Wednesday was to wear a band t-shirt or with a musical artist. This day was a bit more difficult to participate in because there are some people who do not own a shirt with their favorite musical artists. On Thursday, students were told to wear red or anything with hearts on to “spread love.” Friday, the last day of Kindness Week, Renaissance asked told students to wear bright colors or anything with a rainbow.

Besides, having spirit days for students to participate, Renaissance also gave out treats throughout the week to the student body and staff during lunch. On Monday, Renaissance students gave out Kindness Coins and Inspirational Cards to students and then the cards and coins would get passed around, hopefully improving someone’s day. Also, that same day in the morning balloons with smiley faces were handed out. After school on Monday, Renaissance students put up about 2,000 hearts, each heart with either a student, a teacher or a staff member’s name. Tuesday, any student who took a picture with the mascot, Bobby the Brave, was able to get candy from someone in Renaissance. Then on Wednesday, compliment cards were passed around the students done by Renaissance students. Thursday, was dedicated to staff, so nachos were given to any staff member who accepted their offer. Finally, on Friday two students in Renaissance dressed as Cookie Monster and gave out cookies to the students.

Kindness Week, is an event that is held annually by Renaissance. Many students look forward to this week, some for the cookies, others for the balloons but the overall purpose is to spread positivity with the hopes that BPHS will be kind all 180 days of the school year.

Senior, Itzel Estrada states,” Kindness Week is cool because we get cookies and balloons. I also liked the compliment cards.” After this years successful week, Renaissance hopes for the same achievements next year.