New Teacher, New Coach

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Teacher, New Coach

Photo courtesy of Ashley PalafoxThis 2019-2020 school year started with seven new teachers on the BPHS faculty. Taylor Torres is a rookie P.E. teacher, new to the teaching experience.

Ms. Torres lived in Texas for about five years when she was younger but since then she has lived in California. Torres attended Colony High School in Ontario and is part of that school’s graduating class of 2012. After graduation, Torres went to Mt. SAC where she received her Associates degree in Kinesiology. She then attended Cal Poly Pomona where she took classes for a teaching credential, got CPR certified, and passed her Teaching Performance Assessments. Torres graduated from CPP where she attained her BS in kinesiology in 2017 along with her credential in 2018. This degree varies in emphasis like exercise, science, and health promotion. Ms. Torres learned how to apply the disciplines of kinesiology and health promotion as seen by her P.E. classes and softball team.

Apart from coaching P.E. classes, Ms. Torres is the softball coach for the JV team. Her passion stems from her childhood. Ms. Torres played softball for over 15 years including high school and college playing for Colony High School and Mt. SAC.

Ms. Torres has been at BPHS for a couple of months. She has come to see that her students’ “personalities are very interesting” and believes they are great. Now, the BPHS JV softball team is waiting for their new spring season to begin with a new coach.