Back to Article
Back to Article

Politician in the Making

Photo Courtesy of BPUSD

Photo Courtesy of BPUSD

Photo Courtesy of BPUSD

Photo Courtesy of BPUSD

Politician in the Making

Photo courtesy of Anthony Martinez

On September 6th, Herman Cortez was announced as Student Member of the Board of Education for Baldwin Park High School. Herman Cortez’s victory was attained through strategic campaigning. With his position on the Board of Education, Herman hopes to voice the interests of the BPHS student body.

“I ran for this position because I wanted to make sure that our voice and best interests are heard before the board votes on important items that impact us,” Herman explained, “I also want to serve as a liaison to strengthen the communication between the district and students.” This position with the Board of Education was a great opportunity for Herman to voice the interests of the BPHS student body. 

To secure his win, Herman used effective campaigning strategies. He made sure that his goals were clearly stated and that the students at BPHS were made aware of these ideas. Furthermore, Herman reached out to his peers and listened to their thoughts and opinions on BPHS. Now, as Herman stated, “I could better represent them at the district level.” Herman was able to campaign to all grade levels. He wanted to convey his ideas to as many people as he possibly could, but found that this would be difficult if he campaigned alone. Therefore, Herman worked collaboratively with friends at school. 

Herman Cortez used effective campaigning alongside Jennifer Sanchez-Sumano, who ran for Student School Site Council Member. Herman explained how they “decided to team up and campaign together because [they] have similar ideas and goals to improve our school and district.” To improve the school, Herman has planned a couple of short term goals. For example, he plans to give more support to not only clubs but sports teams as well. Moreover, he covets advocacy to improve school safety, mental health, and attendance. To accomplish these objectives, Herman is looking forward to collaborating with school board members and school and district administrators.

The 2019-2020 BPHS Student Member of the Board of Education, Herman Cortez was able to collaborate with fellow students to win the election for a position on the Board of Education. Now he is “excited to work with [Jen] and student school site council members Khole Jackson and Ailani Chang to promote the success of our school. Because Herman values Baldwin Park High School’s success, he has further integrated himself into the BPHS community. His other roles are president of National Honor Society and vice president for California Scholarship Federation and Service in Key Club.

The Vanguard News • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in