The Vanguard News

The Vanguard News

An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Founded in 2004, the Memory Project is a youth arts nonprofit that focuses on creating portraits as special gifts for adolescent children around the world. These children have faced substantial challenges, such as neglect, poverty, and abuse. This organization invites art teachers, Title I schools (schools in which 40% of their population are children from low-income families), and their students to participate, and, this year, Mrs. Blume and her art students did just that. Thanks to Bill Small, a California donor who’s paying the participation fee of $15 for each art class wanting to contribute, for helping art students in honor of his wife, Jeanie, who just passed away.

The reason this organization focuses on creating portraits for children around the world is so that the children feel valued. By giving these children their portraits, the children know that they are thought of and important to several individuals around the globe. In fact, over the past 14 years, the Memory Project has organized 130,000 art students to create portraits for children who have faced impactful problems. For Mrs. Blume, she was sent 22 photos of children from Columbia.

Though most children in Columbia are doing well, there are, like in all countries, some children who are facing substantial challenges. The children of Mrs. Blume’s project all live in an impoverished town. Due to the systematic poverty that is present in this town, the children, and women, face many ongoing social problems.

Upon completion, Mrs. Blume mailed her art students’ portraits, protected by plastic sleeves provided by the organization, to the Memory Project so that they can hand deliver them to their recipients. These portraits are pictured below.

If you are interested in seeing more photos, videos, or would like more information on the Memory Project, please visit: memoryproject.org

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

What It Means To Be 18

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

Choose Your Fighter: Hulu versus Netflix

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Brave Showcase

Is Shake Shack All That?

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

Let’s Just Not Graduate?

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Brave Showcase

Confessions Of A Poll Worker

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

Why You Need An Insulated Bottle

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

Is It Too Early For Christmas?

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

12 Years Left

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

The Legacy of Mac Miller

• An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

Features

To Vote Or To Not Vote

An Elephant’s Memory (Project)