The Vanguard News

The Vanguard News

Day of the Dead

Back to Article
Back to Article

Day of the Dead

There’s nothing dead about Baldwin Park High School’s annual Day of the Dead event as it offered those who attended an authentic cultural experience with Folklorico dancers and danzas de concheros. This year was the 8th anniversary of the event, and the Dual Language students, as usual, did a fantastic job. Along with having Folklorico dancers and dances de concheros, there were also two Norteño bands playing, and a taco truck was even on campus to offer the classic Mexican dish to all those who were craving it (at a cheap price of $1.25).

Not only was the event very lively with music and dances, the Day of the Dead festival also
brought awareness to various social issues that are currently present throughout our society, such as the #MeToo Movement and the political tension in Nicaragua. These issues were brought to light thanks to several BPHS clubs who participated in the event by making altars. Adelante Mujer Latina made an altar about the femicides in Juarez, Mexico, and their president, Nathalie Vera, said, “The most difficult part [of making the altar] was getting everything we wanted in the altar to fit the restrictions, but everything was worth it. I’ve been going since freshman year and I can definitely say that this year was the best.”

Nathalie wasn’t the only one to rave about how enjoyable the Day of the Dead event was. Jessica Gonzales, a senior, stated that, “I would definitely come back to this memorializing event after I graduate,” because of how much she enjoyed all the activities and cultural awareness that the event had to offer.

One of the Folklorico dancers for the event, Ana Amador, emphasized how, “The Día de
Los Muertos event is the best event the school puts on.”

Whether you’re looking for a magnificent, cultural, and enlightening event, or feel like bringing awareness to a certain topic that you’re passionate about, make sure to come out to next year’s Día De Los Muertos event.

• Day of the Dead

News

The Case of Brett Kavanaugh

• Day of the Dead

Brave Showcase

Spooky Senior Sunrise

• Day of the Dead

News

Make Room Psychology, Sociology is Here

• Day of the Dead

Features

An Elephant’s Memory (Project)

• Day of the Dead

Brave Showcase

Confessions Of A Poll Worker

• Day of the Dead

We Are BPHS

New Club On The Block

• Day of the Dead

Features

Why You Need An Insulated Bottle

• Day of the Dead

Sports

Braves Dunk Paramount

• Day of the Dead

News

The Case of Brett Kavanaugh

• Day of the Dead

Features

Is It Too Early For Christmas?

Day of the Dead