Math is Love, Math is Life

Across campus, Mr. Valbuena is a commonly known as a math god. He teaches Algebra 2 and Statistics. Apart from teaching, Valbuena is involved in afterschool activities including afterschool tutoring and the math club, Divide and Conquer. He first started teaching around 14 years ago at a middle school in Rowland USD. “I love teaching. I enjoy helping young people pass their limits. Even though they get frustrated and hate me, I love to help them.”

His favorite part of working at BPHS is interacting with the students. “I like goofing around,” he says, “I like pushing [the students] and seeing what they can handle as far as mathematics.”

When he first started teaching, it was not how he expected it would be. “When I first started I was instructing at a much higher level than they wanted me to but I didn’t really have any specific guidance in the beginning,” detailed Valbuena. “They just said teach algebra so I was teaching really difficult stuff and the kids were dying on me at first and I didn’t know why. I like teaching math because I see it as a challenge since the majority of students hate it.”

As a teacher, his goal for his students is that they realistically understand the importance of education no matter if it’s in school or if it’s at home or if it’s just outside with their friends. He says, “When you grow up you want to become confident in all types of abilities whether it be with academics or sports or whatever you do in life. You just have to have confidence so that you can overcome whatever setbacks you encounter in life.”

For fun, Valbuena enjoys doing outdoor activities like bicycling, skiing, golfing, surfing, traveling, swimming, snorkeling.

“He is one of the best math teachers on this campus,” says Andrea Luna. “I like him because he’s nice, funny, and makes math jokes. He has great hair. My favorite quote by him is ‘Math is love, math is life.’

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

I Like My Raw Men

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

Summer Nights

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

iPhone 8: The New Era

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

Churros on Wheels

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

Round Two. Photo shoot!

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

Don’t Stress It

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Entertainment

Orchestra Hosts A Movie

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

BPHS Royalty

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

Historic Break

• Math is Love, Math is Life

Features

New York Comes to LA

Math is Love, Math is Life