GSA and Its Brave Voices

BALDWIN PARK, CA — With the nearly never-ending news about the actions taken at the White House and Capitol Hill after President Trump’s inauguration weeks ago, Baldwin Park’s Gay Straight Alliance Club decided that it was high time for students and staff to exercise their voices and share their messages with the country’s leaders.

“We decided to start this movement to encourage young minds to be involved in politics and to stand for what they believe in,” informed Jasmine Mata, GSA secretary/treasurer. “I believe it is important to let our representatives know what issues concern the people they represent.”

On Thursday, January 26, GSA decided to start a campaign that encouraged students to send letters and postcards to their representatives and the current president and to make their voices heard. GSA provided writing materials, such as addresses, postcards, and content ideas, for students. The club plans to keep sending letters and cards for students until it runs out of the 100 stamps that it started with.

GSA members have already begun spreading the word to teachers and friends. Mata herself announced this campaign to her AP Government class. She also encouraged the class full of seniors to communicate any of their significant worries to their representatives.

“As a member of the LGBT community, I feel threatened by the new administration,” admitted GSA Vice President Gregorio Arias. He set an example for not only other club members but also other Braves after he “wrote to Senator Harris about securing the rights of LGBT people and voting against any laws that would have a negative effect on the lives of LGBT people.”

With the recent Women’s Marches and protests, writing a letter may seem less significant than what thousands of others are doing. However, GSA adviser Ms. Humason disagrees.

“Well, it’s not just our club that’s writing. This is part of the Women’s March movement that was across the entire country,” explained Ms. Humason. “So for people who can’t attend the marches, this is a way for their voice to also be seen and counted, and they need to remember they’re not just one person. They’re part of a collective mass of people in the United States writing.”

If you are averse to writing but still wish to take part in this growing movement, GSA is planning to make protest posters soon with a few other clubs on campus. GSA will reveal more information about poster-making soon, but if you are interested in volunteering or writing a postcard or letter, make your way to room 511 to pick up materials or to ask any pressing questions.

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

Covina Bowl Strikes Out

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

When Donations Roll In

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

Not So Lonely After All

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

One Ticket Per Elective

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

Marching for a Change

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

Key Club: Another GUY as LTG

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

One Step After Another

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

New Kid on the Block

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Down Main Street

• GSA and Its Brave Voices

News

A Sprinkle of Motivation

GSA and Its Brave Voices